Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Using Facebook to spread the word about HSUS

Seven out of ten Americans wrongly believe the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is a pet-shelter "umbrella group," according to a recent survey. The survey that was commissioned by the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom and conducted by Opinion Research Corporation.

In my personal experience, social networking advocacy is a great way to clear up misconceptions like this. The Humane Society of the United States is an organization that – despite its misleading name – does not operate any animal shelters or spay and neuter clinics but does spend a considerable amount of its time and money lobbying against animal agriculture. From time to time, I utilize my personal Facebook page to share this with others. Below is a screen shot of an interaction where my friend Craig’s opinion of HSUS changed based on my Facebook advocacy. Craig is a law student specializing in administrative law with an interest in politics.


I had a similar interaction with my friend Tina, a Wichita nurse.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails